Loic LeMeur

Are some things just too personal to share?

Are some things just too personal to share?

Your most private functions may soon not be quite so private

Leading French blogger, Loic Le Meur sees the availability of public access to information about bodily functions as an inevitable extension of people’s preparedness to share personal data, as evidenced by a French weighing machine that allows you to share your weight using WiFi and an iPhone app.

This video appears in his blog post called:

‘Writing apps for your TV is cool but nothing compared to Your body API. Where is the iBody appstore?’

In the video and the blog post he talks about:

Kevin Rose (of Digg fame) talking about TVs: Why Apple’s iTV Will Change Everything

A WiFi weighing machine/scales called Withings (which also comes with its own smartphone app).

Here’s a video of the iPhone version:

A smartphone App (and community) for runners called RunKeeper

Here’s an interview that Robert Scoble did at TechCrunch Disrupt New York in May 2010 with Mike Sheeley, COO of FitnessKeeper who make RunKeeper

Something Loic refers to (metaphorically perhaps?) is the iToilet, which turns out to exist (at least it does in Japan: the link is to a story in French).

The prediction of the ‘iBody API’ as Loic calls it, it something he credits to legendary inventor Ray Kurzweil in his bestselling book The singularity is near

14 Responses to “Are some things just too personal to share?”

1. Sharpe says:

Loic Le Mour tells in above video blog about applications that would basically monitor all of our body’s life functions and data. What he founds amusing – is the fact those applications connect to each other. As an example – he mentions apps monitoring your training routine and the ones that measure your body weight and other things like BMI body index (the one with fat % in your body which Loic wasn’t sure about).

I don’t mind sharing this info with others, but surely not everybody would like to do that? It might be going too far for some.

• MaliniG says:

It seems a good thing to have your weight automatically updated on websites & iPhone, and also backed up, so you can have a look at the charts and history, but I personally do not feel like uploading my data for my friends to see.

• Sharpe says:

Exactly Malini, that’s what I referred to. But on the other hand, maybe we don’t have to share it with others – all should/would be our decision whether to do so or not. We can still use these applications to monitor our fitness, training sessions in relation to diet and how our weight changes? This is something I would like to see – how different types of diet or exercises reflect changes in my BMI or weight. All of that on easy to understand cross data charts, accessible with one click on your mobile.

How cool is that?

• MaliniG says:

Yes, if you are not sharing your data with the world, but use it to keeep a track on your fitness, that is cool.

I know many people would find it interesting.

• MaliniG says:

Also, if people are sharing their personal data on twitter, wouldn’t there be some social pressure on them to be fit all the time?

• Sharpe says:

You can always look on that from two sides Malini. Some people would be motivated, just like Loic mentions in his video. It might actually keep people strong in their will to carry on with training regime – just because their friends are not giving up.

2. MaliniG says:

Checked out this Withings scale website http://www.withings.com.

Withings records your weight, fat mass and BMI. It also transmits the data to your account on the Withings site and other sites like Facebook, Twitter, etc.

And people are loving this scale, as I found on this forum

• Sharpe says:

You are right Malini, people seem to be pleased with it, according to forum comments that is.

Although, some people show a bit of concern because of the delay in uploading the info on the site from their scales. Nothing that is hard to overcome with minor changes and updates in software I imagine.

Great to see such small things making such a huge difference in some people’s lives.

3. Sharpe says:

I have found an interesting article on the subject – quick summary of iPhone history as medical device.
    You can check whole article here:

“Even though Apple announced this month the latest version of its operating system, iPhone 4.0, with no mention of medical or health apps, a few readers’ requests to update this Apple iPhone timeline. It now spans 18 months of health-related iPhone news.”

Time flows by pretty quickly, but for 18 months, number and quality of available applications is really encouraging.

4. Heya i am for the first time here. I found this board and I find It truly useful & it helped
    me out much. I hope to give something back and
    help others like you aided me.

5. Pearlene says:

Simply wish to say your article is as surprising.
    The clearness in your post is just spectacular and i could
    assume you’re an expert on this subject. Well with your permission let me to grab your RSS feed to keep updated with forthcoming post.

Thanks a million and please continue the gratifying work.

Feel free to surf to my blog post … web page, Pearlene,

6. Josette says:

Great post. I’m facing some of these issues as
    well..